Pages

Total Pageviews

Saturday, May 25, 2019

Theresa May becomes second UK PM to resign over Brexit

Under fire from various quarters over her approach to Brexit, an emotional Prime Minister Theresa May on Friday announced she will resign on June 7, making her the second prime minister to quit in three years over the deeply polarising issue in contemporary British history.
Theresa May took over in July 2016 after the Leave vote in the referendum on the UK’s membership of the European Union prompted Prime Minister David Cameron to resign. May has since seen 36 ministers resign over her approach and the House of Commons voting down her deal three times.
Standing outside 10, Downing Street, Theresa May said: “I negotiated the terms of our exit and a new relationship with our closest neighbours that protects jobs, our security and our Union. I have done everything I can to convince MPs to back that deal”.
“Sadly, I have not been able to do so. I tried three times…But it is now clear to me that it is in the best interests of the country for a new Prime Minister to lead that effort”.
“So I am today announcing that I will resign as leader of the Conservative and Unionist Party on Friday 7 June so that a successor can be chosen”.
Theresa May will be in office during the forthcoming state visit of US President Donald Trump from June 3. The leadership contest will be triggered after her resignation on June 7. The new leader will be expected to steer the Brexit process until October 31, the new deadline for the UK to leave the EU.

No comments:

Post a Comment