Pages

Total Pageviews

Tuesday, November 28, 2017

2017 Sri Lanka Tour of India - India Vs Sri Lanka Second Test @ Nagpur - Ravichandran Ashwin Breaks Dennis Lillee's Record to Become Fastest to Pick 300 Test Wickets

India's spin spearhead Ravichandran Ashwin has added a fresh feather into his already illustrious cap by becoming the fastest bowler to scalp 300 Test wicket in the second match against Sri Lanka at the Vidarbha Cricket Association stadium in Nagpur on Monday Nov 27,2017


Ashwin scalped four wickets on the fourth day of the match as the visitors were bundled out for a paltry 166 in their second innings. Ashwin's heroics helped India win the match by a massive margin of an innings and 239 runs.

With the help of his four wickets, Ashwin entered the 'club 300' in the longest format of the game and he also became the fastest (54 Test) to reach there. Ashwin broke the record of Australian legend Dennis Lillee, who achieved the feat in 56 Tests in 1981.

R Ashwin Record

"I really hope I can go on to double these 300 wickets, I have only played 50 Tests. It's not easy bowling spin, it looks like you're just ambling up. But there's a lot behind it. We've bowled a lot of overs, me and Jaddu (Ravindra Jadeja) . And the break has helped, I'm a lot more fresher now comparatively," Ashwin said.

"The carom ball was a good ball, I haven't bowled many of those in the last 24 months," he said referring to the ball with which he got his milestone.

"I have worked on different releases for it and now that we are travelling, I think I needed that extra bit. It has been a longer break than I've been used to over the last few years. But I did have a good stint in Worcester and I learnt a lot of things. As you can see, I've worked on different loadings, different actions. It's also helped my patience, wickets haven't come quickly," he added

Earlier, in February 2017, Ashwin broke Lillee's record of fastest to 250 Test wickets as well. Ashwin picked 250 wickets in just 45 Tests while Lillee did so in 48. While, the 30-year-old became the second quickest bowler to reach 200 Test wickets when he surpassed Pakistan's Waqar Younis and Lillee in September 2016




A look at Ashwin’s major scalps

 
1st Test wicket: Darren Bravo (West Indies)
50th Test wicket: Nick Compton (England)
100th Test wicket: Darren Sammy (West Indies)
150th Test wicket: Imran Tahir (South Africa)
200th Test wicket: Kane Williamson (New Zealand)
250th Test wicket: Mushfiqur Rahim (Bangladesh)
300th Test Wicket: Lahiru Gamage (Sri Lanka)

No comments:

Post a Comment