Turmeric is one of the most powerful ingredients in your spice cabinet. It is an antiseptic and an anti-inflammatory.
Its beneficial qualities have been credited to the presence of an active ingredient called curcumin.
It adds a beautiful bright hue to our dishes, but did you know that turmeric can double up as a great beauty ingredient too?
It is one of the most effective natural remedies for acne, black head and ageing skin.
Here are 7 ways to use turmeric for beautiful and glowing skin that you probably didn't know.
1. Soothes dry skin: You can make a quick face pack with half a teaspoon of turmeric, 1 tablespoon of fresh cream and few drops of rose water. This face masks helps in naturally moisturizing your skin and makes it soft.
2. Improves uneven skin tone: All you need are just three basic ingredients - 1 teaspoon of turmeric, 1 tablespoon honey and 1 teaspoon lime juice. Mix all together to make a face mask. Apply it on your skin and leave it on for 20-20 minutes. Wash with lukewarm water to reveal bright and glowing skin.
3. Treats acne: Turmeric powder helps in treating pimples by removing excess oil and destroying the bacteria due to its antimicrobial properties. Mix turmeric with some coconut oil and apply on the affected area. Let it stay for 15 minutes and then wash with lukewarm water.
4. Removes tan: Using turmeric can be a great way to get rid of sun tan. Make a mix of 1 teaspoon of turmeric powder, 1 tablespoon tomato puree and 1 tablespoon yogurt. Apply this on tanned skin and let it dry. Later, wash with water. You will see a difference in just two-three applications.
5. For dark circles: Turmeric powder is an effective cure for dark circles. Mix turmeric, honey and yogurt in equal quantities to make a paste and apply it gently under your eyes. Leave it on for 15- 20 minutes and then wash off. Repeat this for a few days and you'll notice a change.
6. Skin tightening and anti-ageing benefits: As you age, so does your skin and it tends to become saggy and wrinkly. Turmeric is known for its powerful anti-ageing effects. For this, you can make a mask with egg white (from one egg), 1 tablespoon of turmeric and 1 teaspoon of olive oil. Apply it on your face and skin and then wash off. Turmeric is a great antioxidant and it helps in repairing the damage to the skin's epidermis.
7. Exfoliator: Turmeric acts as a great exfoliater. It helps in removing blackheads and dead skin cells. Just apply a smooth paste of turmeric and milk and scrub gently. You can do this at least twice a week to keep your skin clean and smooth.