made his debut as a playback singer in the Telegu Film 'Sri Sri Maryada Ramanna'(1966), a film scored by his mentor, S P Kodandapani.
made his debut as a playback singer in theTamil Film 'Shanthi Nilayam'(1969)
He holds the record of having recorded the most number of songs for any male playback singer.
- In 1976 , he recorded up to 23 songs, including 15 duets with P. Susheela in a single day.
- For Kannada composer UpendraKumar, SP.B recorded 16 songs in just 6 hours. r
- For Ram Laxman, he recorded six songs in 4 hours in Mumbai.
- Between 3 recording theatres in Mumbai, he sang 17 songs in a day for Anand-Milind.
(1)SP.B has won the "National Film Award for Best Male Playback Singer" 6 times for 4 different languages.
- For 'Shankarabharanam' in 1980 (Telegu)
- For 'Ek Duje Ke Liye' in 1982 (Hindi)
- For 'Saagara Sangamam in 1984 (Telegu)
- For 'Rudraveena' in 1989 (Telegu)
- For ' Sangeetha Sagara Ganayogi Panchakshara Gavai ' in 1996(Kannada)
- For ' Minsara Kanavu' in 1997 (Tamil)
(3) SP.B has won the Filmfare Award -South for the Best Playback Singer-Male for -
a) Mozhi(2007) - Tamil Film
b) Sri Ramadasu(2006) - Telegu Film
SP.B has sung over 40,000 songs in 15 Indian languages with a career spanning over 4 decades.