Pages

Total Pageviews

Monday, May 14, 2018

Italy's Roberta Vinci Ends Professional Tennis Career

Image result for Italy's Roberta Vinci Ends Professional Tennis Career

Italy's Roberta Vinci on Monday May 14,2018 played her last professional tennis match at age 35, losing to Aleksandra Krunic of Serbia in the first round of the Italian Open here.

During Vinci's farewell ceremony held at Pietrangeli court following her defeat, a video of key moments from her career was shown on a large screen

"I'm crying now but I'm happy, I'm happy for what I've accomplished," Vinci said. "I would have liked to do better but it doesn't matter that I lost."


Vinci had an opportunity to stretch her career for at least one more match, but lost 2-6, 6-0, 6-3 in her last tournament as a professional

Over her long career, Roberta Vinci won 10 singles titles, but lost her biggest singles final at the US Open to fellow Italian Flavia Pennetta.

However, Vinci had a successful doubles partnership with Sara Errani, also of Italy, earning five Grand Slam titles; French Open (2012), US Open (2012), Australian Open (2013, 2014) and Wimbledon (2014)

No comments:

Post a Comment