Pages

Total Pageviews

Tuesday, January 30, 2018

Prakash Padukone Conferred Lifetime Achievement Award of the Badminton Association of India (BAI) in New Delhi Monday Jan 29,2018

The terms ‘legend’ and ‘pioneer’ are often used loosely, but Prakash Padukone is one name that fits the bill completely. As such, conferring the first ever Lifetime Achievement Award of the Badminton Association of India (BAI) on the country’s first All England champion and World No. 1 was a no-brainer.

Padukone’s achievements in badminton don’t need an award to be recognised. But even so, receiving the honour in front of family, including wife Ujjala and filmstar daughter Deepika, former teammates and friends was enough for the racquet artist from yesteryear turn emotional.

“I did not play for money, awards, rewards or to please anyone. I played for the love of the game, my own satisfaction and challenging myself,” Padukone said in a choked voice after receiving a citation and a cheque of Rs 10 lakh from the hands of vice-president M Venkaiah Naidu

“I recollected the time when I started playing badminton without their being any facilities for the sport. The game has grown a lot since, and there were tears of joy,” the 62-year-old would say later. “I only wish I could do something for the players of the older generations who came from smaller towns and could not make it big.”

No comments:

Post a Comment