Systolic pressure (100-140 mmHg) is the pressure in blood vessels when the heart beats.
Diastolic number (60-90 mmHg) measures the pressure in blood vessels while the heart is at rest between two beats.
"Blood pressure is the force of blood against the artery walls as it circulates through the body. High blood pressure or hypertension is the constant pumping of blood through blood vessels with excessive force," World Health Organisation(WHO)
Key facts about hypertension
1. Close to 1 billion people suffer from hypertension all across the world.
2. Two thirds of the above mentioned figure lives in developing countries.
3. By 2025 the global instances of hypertension is predicted to inch to 1.56 billion.
4. High blood pressure is one of the leading causes of premature deaths in the world.
5. Hypertension kills nearly 1.5 million people every year in South East Asia and a whopping 8 million globally.
6.One third of the total South East Asian population suffers from hypertension.
7.Almost 60% diabetics also struggle with high blood pressure.
8.Lack or inadequacy of potassium can be one of the contributing factors.
9.Hypertension can be hereditary.
10.Although hypertension has no symptoms, a person with elevated blood pressure may feel nausea, fatigue, muscle tremors, chest pain and anxiety