2017 French Open - Roger Federer pulls out of French Open 2017 in order to prolong his career Monday May 15,2017
18-time Grand Slam champion Roger Federer has pulled out of French Open 2017. Federer, who won his last Major title at the Australian Open earlier this year, said he needed to avoid playing on clay to extend his career.
Federer will now miss French Open two years in a row after missing out last year as well due to injury.
"Regrettably, I`ve decided not to participate in the French Open," the Swiss maestro said on his Facebook page on Monday May 15,2017
"I`ve been working really hard, both on and off the court, during the last month but in order to try and play on the ATP World Tour for many years to come, I feel it`s best to skip the clay-court season this year and prepare for the grass and hard-court seasons," he added.
"The start to the year has been magical for me but I need to recognise that scheduling will be the key to my longevity moving forward. Thus, my team and I concluded today that playing just one event on clay was not in the best interest of my tennis and physical preparation for the remainder of the season."