Pages

Total Pageviews

Saturday, September 26, 2015

U.S. House Speaker John Boehner to resign, quit Congress in October 2015

 
John Boehner,the Ohio Republican who steered his party to an overwhelming House majority in 2010, said in a news conference Friday afternoon Sep 25,2015  he had decided only that morning to announce his plans to resign from Congress.
"Last night I started thinking about this and this morning I woke up and I said my prayers -- as I always do -- and I decided today's the day I'm going to do this. As simple as that," Boehner said during an emotional Capitol Hill press conference a day after he had a moving encounter with Pope Francis.

John Boehner will step down as Speaker and leave Congress at the end of October 2015

The Ohio Republican's tenure as Speaker has been marked by clashes with conservatives -- especially when it comes to fiscal policy. He's struggled to push through legislation to increase the debt ceiling and was facing another showdown next week to keep the government open. The Speaker has often relied on Democratic votes during these moments -- a strategy that has infuriated conservatives.

John Boehner, who turns 65 in November, said Friday that he had planned to step down at the end of the year but turmoil within his caucus prompted him to resign earlier than planned.
"I got plenty of people following me but this turmoil that's been churning now for a couple of months, it's not good for the members and it's not good for the institution. If I was not planning on leaving here soon, I can tell you I would not have done it," Boehner said.

No comments:

Post a Comment