Pages

Total Pageviews

Wednesday, August 23, 2017

Wayne Rooney announces retirement from England duty after 119 caps



Wayne Rooney has called time on his England career after a glittering 14-year spell with the national team which saw him become their all-time record goalscorer.


ENGLAND'S ALL-TIME RECORD GOALSCORERS 

  1. Wayne Rooney 53
  2. Bobby Charlton 49
  3. Gary Lineker 48
  4. Jimmy Greaves 44
  5. Michael Owen 40
  6. Tom Finney 30
  7. Nat Lofthouse 30
  8. Alan Shearer 30
  9. Viv Woodward 29
  10. Frank Lampard 29 



In a statement released by the Everton striker, the former Manchester United star has confirmed he no longer wants to be considered for international duty.

In the forward's statement he says Gareth Southgate wanted to recall him to the squad for the forthcoming games against Malta and Slovakia.

But the forward respectively declined — instead informing the England boss he wants to concentrate on playing for Everton.

'It was great that Gareth Southgate called me this week to tell me he wanted me back in the England squad for the upcoming matches. I really appreciated that,' he said. 

'However, having already thought long and hard, I told Gareth that I had now decided to retire for good from international football.

'It is a really tough decision and one I have discussed with my family, my manager at Everton and those closest to me.

'Playing for England has always been special to me. Every time I was selected as a player or captain was a real privilege and I thank everyone who helped me.

'But I believe now is the time to bow out



53 goals. 119 games. Forever a  legend.

Thank you, @WayneRooney.




No comments:

Post a Comment