Pages

Total Pageviews

Saturday, August 20, 2016

2016 Rio Olympic Games in Brazil Aug 05-21,2016 - Spain's Ruth Beitia(37)Wins Gold Medal in the Women's High Jump Saturday Aug 20,2016






Spanish veteran Ruth Beitia(37)wrote her name in the history books on SaturdayAug 20,2016  by winning the Rio Olympics high jump, the biggest victory of her 20-year career.


Spain's Ruth Beitia's victory makes her the oldest ever winner of a jumping event at the Olympics. Mirela Demireva of Bulgaria took the silver medal while Blanka Vlasic of Croatia took the bronze.

Spain's Ruth Beitia made her international debut for Spain in 1996 - won on countback after clearing 1.97m with three other women.

"I'm aware that I'm 37 years old!" she said. "I think I'm one of the oldest women to win an Olympic gold medal.

"Of course, I'm very proud to still be continuing up to now. Even at my age, I have the same enthusiasm and happiness."

Spain's Ruth Beitia's victory comes four years after Beitia retired from the sport following a bitterly disappointing fourth place finish at the London 2012 Olympics.

Spain's Ruth Beitia however returned to competition several months later to earn a bronze medal at the 2013 World Championships in Moscow.

Spain's Ruth Beitia came into the Olympics fresh from a victory in the European Championships in Amsterdam with a season's best jump of 1.98m.

Spain's Ruth Beitia said the gold was the product of "26 years of work and pulling hair out".

"I won it thanks to the work my coach Ramon Torralbo, my other half," she said.

"The second chance he's given me has been the opportunity to show all the work we've done over so many years.

"When I made my comeback after retirement I removed the stones from the backpack, I just enjoyed it with a smile."

No comments:

Post a Comment