Pages

Total Pageviews

Sunday, September 3, 2017

2017 US Open Women's Singles Fourth Round - Petra Kvitova beat Garbine Muguruza Sunday Sep 03,2017

Battling back after a home-invasion knife attack last December that jeopardized her career, two-time Wimbledon winner Petra Kvitova matched her top US Open performance on Sunday Sep 03,2017 by reaching the quarter-finals.

The 13th-seeded Czech left-hander ousted Spanish third seed and reigning Wimbledon champion Garbine Muguruza 7-6 (7/3), 6-3 to book a Tuesday last-eight date with US ninth seed and seven-time Grand Slam winner Venus Williams.

Kvitova, who also reached the 2015 quarter-finals, is playing only her eighth event of the year after left hand surgery following a break-in assault last December that is still under investigation by Czech police.

"Especially after everything that happened, I do feel little bit pumped," Kvitova said. "I don't really have the best ranking, but on the other hand I know I can play well, which I showed today.

"I worked hard to come back and be here. It means a lot."

No comments:

Post a Comment