Pages

Total Pageviews

Saturday, December 3, 2016

Marlon Brando's rape scene in Last Tango to Paris was shot without actress's consent



'Last Tango in Paris' upon release had been surrounded in controversy courtesy its graphic portrayal of sexual violence.

Though the Franco-Italian film had opened to unanimous acclaim, a video has surfaced where director Bernardo Bertolucci admits to have shot the particularly infamous rape scene involving protagonist Marlon Brando without the consent of co-actress Maria Schneider.

 The director had conspired with the veteran actor to shoot the scene, in which Brando’s character uses a stick of butter to rape Schneider.

"The sequence of the butter is an idea that I had with Marlon in the morning before shooting," Bertulocci had said. Though he admitted to have felt horrible ‘in a way,’ he defended his action saying he needed a genuine reaction from her and not an act. I wanted her to react humiliated," he said. "I think she hated me and also Marlon because we didn't tell her."

Marlon, then 48, was involved through the ideation of the scene, while the unsuspecting Schneider, then 19, haplessly responded to her plight, which was eventually captured on film.

 Bertolucci, however didn’t have the least bit of remorse, adding, "To obtain something I think you have to be completely free," he said. "I didn't want Maria to act her humiliation her rage, I wanted her to feel...the rage and humiliation. Then she hated me for all of her life."

Maria Schneider would go on to never shoot a scene in the buff, post her horrifying experience on the film. She went on to battle serious drug problems and depression.

In an interview to the Daily Mail in 2007, Maria Schneider  had written that she had felt violated by the experience."I felt humiliated and to be honest, I felt a little raped, both by Marlon and by Bertolucci," she said. "After the scene, Marlon didn't console me or [apologize]. Thankfully, there was just one take."


No comments:

Post a Comment