Pages

Total Pageviews

Wednesday, July 12, 2017

Dinesh Chandimal to Lead Lanka in Tests, Upul Tharanga in Limited-Overs



Dinesh Chandimal has been named Sri Lanka's new Test captain and Upul Tharanga will take over in ODIs and T20s. 

This after former skipper Angelo Mathews stepped down after the team’s dismal show against Zimbabwe in the ODI series as they lost 3-2.

Angelo Mathews met with chief selector Sanath Jayasuriya to discuss his future with the team before a one-off Test against Zimbabwe beginning on Friday July 14,2017

Angelo Mathews also spoke at the press conference where the new appointments were announced and said that he wanted to step down earlier as well but had to stick on as there was no replacement. He also took responsibility for the team’s poor show against Zimbabwe

"Yes, there have been significant poor performances, and I'm humble enough to accept it. In the past also there were instances where I wanted to step down but I didn't want to let the team down at that time, mainly because there were no replacements. The team's interests supercede the individuals. Now there are candidates to take over, and I'm sure they will be more successful than me. I also wanted to give my successor time to build a team for the 2019 World Cup," he said.

Chandimal added that Mathews was an integral part of the team and hoped to have him around as they look to take Sri Lankan cricket forward.

"I'm very thankful for the job that Angie [Mathews] has done for us," he said. "Captaincy is not an easy job. He's a match-winner for us, and I have huge hopes that he will continue to be one in the coming years as well."

No comments:

Post a Comment